Hamilton 992B and 5 questions

Moderator: pocwatjim

Hamilton 992B and 5 questions

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:51 am

Pics here of a watch I picked up at the NAWCC National ...

The movement serial number is C222480, the 10K gold-filled Hamilton marked case serial number is 8914662. The dial is melamine signed "Hamilton Railway Special" with a recess only for the seconds-bit.

Now my 5 questions ...

- Am I remembering right that this is one of cases that the model number is unknown for and that there has been speculation that this could be the model B or model C case?

- Just how uncommon or scarce is this style gold-filled Hamilton factory case?

- In terms of shape and style, are there any differences at all from the model 12 Hamilton chrome case?

- How common or uncommon is this melamine Railway Special dial with only a recess for the seconds-bit but no center section recess?

- Is there any reason to believe the movement/case/dial are not an original combo?

Thanks in advance to all who can help!

Fred
Attachments
901.jpg
901.jpg (213.96 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
902.jpg
902.jpg (246.72 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
903.jpg
903.jpg (238.97 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
904.jpg
904.jpg (291.06 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Watches For Sale at FHWatch.com
Fred E. Hansen

NAWCC #: 109682

Re: Hamilton 992B and 5 questions

New postby Charlie Sides » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Fred

You can see a side by side comparison on Weldon's excellent thread under the #12 case. The only differences I have been able to ascertain are the metal composition and the case markings. Your case # fits right in with others I have seen (mine is 8913317). And this is one that has been speculated to be the B or C case ... primarily because we don't what case this is and we haven't been able to identify the B or C cases.

These were mistaken for #16 cases (roll gold plate, different bow/pendant) or traffic spl cases until recently, so were an unknown commodity. I have owned 3 and have seen maybe 5 - 6 others in the last couple years. They'er kinda like the #9 Ham case, makes you wonder where they've been hiding for the last 60-70 yrs. Comparative rarity, I think they are seen more often than the model #9 case.

I'll wait on pics and Terry for the dial question.

Charlie
Charlie Sides

NAWCC #: 0153776

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Explanation: I've done some housekeeping on this topic, The pics are now in the opening post.

Thank you all for your support and cooperation.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks Charlie and Glyn!

Terry had mentioned that this sounded like a #168 dial and the dial markings definitely match to the ads I've seen of the #168. But was the 168 only made in this recessed seconds melamine design, or was there an enamel version or recessed center melamine version of the 168? And are #168 dials common or uncommon?
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Watches For Sale at FHWatch.com
Fred E. Hansen

NAWCC #: 109682

New postby terry hall » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes, your image confirms it...

How many... not sure, but see them on quite a few 50's movements... they are not as plentiful as the 121 dial (double sunk melamine RWS) or the 379 dial ('montgomery double sunk melamine RWS)

I personally believe they (the 168 dials) were a derivative of the 080 single sunk glass enamel dial, which was a replacement for the Double sunk HG dial in the early 40's during a time of production/quality issues with the double sunk dials. I have 'read' "somewhere" that this was a result of WWII.... but this is NOT documented in any of the available factory information... I do not believe that read statement holds water... :roll:

other responses below in italics

- Am I remembering right that this is one of cases that the model number is unknown for and that there has been speculation that this could be the model B or model C case?

I think the "B" case has an Identity based on descriptions... IMHO it is very similar to the LATER model 16... so this is a candidate for the C case or some of the other 'undefined' cases mentioned in the Halligan writings.

- Just how uncommon or scarce is this style gold-filled Hamilton factory case?

I would say uncommon in the least...

- In terms of shape and style, are there any differences at all from the model 12 Hamilton chrome case?

Not from the example Charlie let me hold and view beside of a confirmed model 12...

- How common or uncommon is this melamine Railway Special dial with only a recess for the seconds-bit but no center section recess?

see above

- Is there any reason to believe the movement/case/dial are not an original combo?

I think it is a valid combination... congrats !!!

terry hall

NAWCC #: 131347

New postby Norman Bliss » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:01 am

Fred, my c1954 Model 15 992B has the 168 melamine dial.
Attachments
992Bsm.jpg
992Bsm.jpg (11.32 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Norman
Norman Bliss

Return to Hamilton pocket watches