Samuel Marti Clock - Idea of value?

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Samuel Marti Clock - Idea of value?

New postby wilsonpaule » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Okay, I am more of a pocket watch collector. My girlfriend bought this clock and we would like to know if anyone has an idea what this is worth. I have seen Samuel Marti clocks go from anywhere between $150 and $5000.
Anyway, all I know about it is that it is a Samuel Marti, as can be seen in the picture with the Samuel MArti Medaille D'or, Paris 1900 picture. I imagine it is from around 1900-1910. I am not sure how to date it exactly.
Sze: the clock stands 19 inches high, 10 inches wide, by just under 8 inches deep.
It works well, and the dial and hands are very clean.

Any ideas?
marti 1.jpg

marti 2.jpg

marti 3.jpg

marti 5.jpg

marti 6.jpg

marti 9.jpg

marti 10.jpg
Paul Alexander
wilsonpaule

Re: Samuel Marti Clock - Idea of value?

New postby John Moane » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Samuel Marti et Cie were well known clock makers in Paris in the mid eighteenth century. In 1860 it's known that their premises were situated at Le Pays de Montbeliard and in 1863 Marti worked with two other well known clock maker's Roux, and Japy Freres in promoting their clock movements.
The Medaille de Bronze stamp refers to the period 1867 - 1900 . I see yours has the medal of 1900. These clocks are more rare then Japy clock and I would say at a guess this clock would be worth well over the $12000 mark
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

New postby wilsonpaule » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 am

John,

I hope that you did not inadvertently add an extra zero into that estimate! We were hoping it was worth $1000! I guess we will have to get this appraised in person locally. Anyone know of a good clock expert in Montreal or Ottawa in Canada?

Paul
Paul Alexander
wilsonpaule

New postby John Moane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:00 am

Sorry, I meant to put $1,200,but you never know it might fetch a lot more. Regards, John
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

New postby veritas » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi Paul, i could put you in touch with the president of ch 111 Ottawa, many members have internet acess and someone can likely give you a good idea.I think around a thousand too.Georges Royer has seen many clocks and has a repair shop here, he would be good to ask as well.
Let me know if you want his email adress or you can google the ottawa clock and watch club.
Nice clock, very ornate.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby wilsonpaule » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Kevin

If you could message me his email address that would be good. In all honesty, we bought this clock to resell it, so we will probably put it into Empire auctions in Montreal (unless I can find a buyer directly) and if I can get an approximate appraisal, it will allow us to set a fair reserve at auction. We bought it at a very reasonable price though, so we may just hold onto it for a while and put it with our other french clock and decide which one we want to keep and which we want to sell. I would like to keep them both, but clocks take up a lot of room when you have 20 of them in the house. Pocket watches are much less obtrusive when you have a number of them in the collection!
Paul Alexander
wilsonpaule

New postby veritas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi Paul i sent you a private message.
20 clocks sounds like a nice collection.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby John Johnson » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Paul,

Please let us know what the final appraisal value is on the clock once you find out. I'm sure we all would like to know.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Return to Appraisal Desk