Hamilton Wristwatch Prices

If you ask here, someone may tell you what they think of your timepiece, or one that you are interested in. All advice is free. Do not to base your trading or other financial decisions on information given in this forum. We do not accept responsibility for any loss that you may incur as an outcome of your taking advice here. If financial value is important to you, please consult a professional valuer or appraisal expert.
Forum rules
You may ask about the value of any item. However, if that item is in a live sale or auction the topic is likely to be closely moderated. Please post ONE ITEM per topic.

Hamilton Wristwatch Prices

New postby Tom Diss » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've been tracking Hamilton wristwatch prices on Ebay for the last five years. I track the prices of models I have in my collection, those I would like to add to it, and ones I doubt I'll ever be able to justify buying (or afford :D ).

Criteria I use for a watch price to be included in my data:
running condition and keeping time
above average dial condition, hands, & crystal
minimal case wear
listing photos must be good enough to allow me to discern the cosmetic condition

My data are the average selling price of the last 25 examples sold (of roughly 300 models) to keep them current. Obviously, some watches are so rare that only several, or in some cases just one price is available, so that's what I use to provide an idea what someone else WAS willing to pay it. Besides the average price, I also have the current minimum, all-time maximum, and median price paid for the models I track. If I have the data for a particular model, I am more than willing to share it - just ask. I've also gotten pretty familiar with models, so if anyone needs an identification, I'll do my best there, as well.

It's great to be getting back to some fun stuff! :mrgreen:
Tom Diss

NAWCC #: 163476

Re: Hamilton Wristwatch Prices

New postby rschwalberg » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Tom,

Thanks for letting me know about this great site , as we all enjoy the passion of collecting watches. Also your expertise and data is excellent, thanks, Rich Schwalberg
Richard Schwalberg
rschwalberg

NAWCC #: 074518

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Tom -

I am a pocketwatch collector but saw a sharp looking Hamilton wristwatch the other day ... a nice gold-filled Square enamel that belonged to a friend. I would be very interested what is a fair range for the realistic eBay value to this watch?

Thanks!

Fred
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Watches For Sale at FHWatch.com
Fred E. Hansen

NAWCC #: 109682

New postby Tom Diss » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:37 am

For anyone requiring info on Hamiltons, post a photo with your request, and if the model is one I track, I'll be happy to post what I've got on it. If possible, the case color would help if it's not obvious in the pic. Also specify filled or solid gold.

For example, the watch shown on my avatar is green gold filled, but it's not easily discernable.
Tom Diss

New postby John Arrowood » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 am

Hi, Tom,
Do you have any information on the Hamilton Vancott? The front half of the case is 10k gold and the back is base metal or stainless steel. Hack setting movement. They are small compared to the behemoths seen today. I have the impression that they were not shown in any catalogs from Hamilton and were made for a short time.
Attachments
vanc01.jpg
vanc01.jpg (105.52 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby Tom Diss » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:06 am

John Arrowood wrote:Hi, Tom,
Do you have any information on the Hamilton Vancott? The front half of the case is 10k gold and the back is base metal or stainless steel. Hack setting movement. They are small compared to the behemoths seen today. I have the impression that they were not shown in any catalogs from Hamilton and were made for a short time.

John,

The Vancott never appeared in any Hamilton catalog and was identified only a year or two ago. Will Roseman's website has the best info on the model:

http://www.vintagewatch.info/Detail%20-%20Vancott%20-%2010K.htm

The average Ebay selling price for the 10K/SS model is $277 for nine of them. The max. price paid so far is $475 and the min. is $128. I was lucky to get one in nearly pristine condition for $180 from Richard Gilbert about 18 months ago - a "Buy it Now" on Ebay. I don't think he knew how scarce it was as most of his BIN prices are relatively high.
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Show linked image
Tom Diss

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 am

Hi Tom -

The watch I was describing and interested in would be the yellow gold-filled version of what is shown at this link ...

http://www.vintagewatch.info/Detail%20- ... %2014K.htm

... on Will Roseman's site. Also if possible I'd be interested in a comparison of the yellow to the white gold-filled.

Thanks again!

Fred
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Show linked image
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Fred E. Hansen

New postby John Arrowood » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the information. I have two of them; the 10k mark is not in the same place on both. The other one has the same applied numerals but they were painted black at some time. The paint must have been applied post sale because I can see no reason for Hamilton to cover gold numbers with paint; it would have been more economical to use a dial with painted numbers instead.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby Tom Diss » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:54 pm

Fred E. Hansen wrote:Hi Tom -

The watch I was describing and interested in would be the yellow gold-filled version of what is shown at this link ...

http://www.vintagewatch.info/Detail%20- ... %2014K.htm

... on Will Roseman's site. Also if possible I'd be interested in a comparison of the yellow to the white gold-filled.

Thanks again!

Fred

That's one not seen very often, Fred. It came in green or white filled and 14K solid gold.

One ggf sold at $277
Two wgf at $295 and $500
One 14K white at $1000
I've not seen any 14K green ones

If you decide not to buy it, I would love the chance to get one for my collection.
Tom Diss

New postby Fred E. Hansen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks Tom, I should have a chance to see the owner again in about 2 weeks and will discuss it with him then.

Fred
Fred E. Hansen
NAWCC #109682

Fred E. Hansen

New postby John Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:31 pm

John A,

I might be interested in purchasing the second copy of that Hamilton you have been discussing here. Contact me on back channel with photos of dial and movement and case if your interested, and your asking price.

Thanks,
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

New postby danwatch » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Tom:
What can you tell me about the value of a Hamilton "Glenn Curtis" in 14k white gold? I have a nice example with 19j movement and original dial. There is a tasteful presentation engraving on the back. The watch is in clean, good running condition, with some wear on the lugs.
Thanks,
Dan Rom
Daniel Rom
danwatch

NAWCC #: 0114063

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:19 am

danwatch wrote:Tom:
What can you tell me about the value of a Hamilton "Glenn Curtis" in 14k white gold? I have a nice example with 19j movement and original dial. There is a tasteful presentation engraving on the back. The watch is in clean, good running condition, with some wear on the lugs.
Thanks,
Dan Rom

Do you have any pics you can post, Dan?
Have you posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

Cooperation, conviviality and civility.
Please "Place inline" all attached pics. Thank you.
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby danwatch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 am

Glyn:
I'll take a photo and see if I can figure out how to post it.
Dan Rom
Daniel Rom
danwatch

NAWCC #: 0114063

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:23 am

danwatch wrote:Glyn:
I'll take a photo and see if I can figure out how to post it.
Dan Rom

If you need help with posting a pic (or a link to a pic), just ask.
Have you posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

Cooperation, conviviality and civility.
Please "Place inline" all attached pics. Thank you.
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Next

Return to Appraisal Desk